Monday, August 31, 2026

What I've learned from an unlikely friendship

I'm a Zionist rabbi in AOC's district. Here's what I've learned from the relationships I've built with the democratic socialists representing us. ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌  ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ ͏‌ 
Read in browser

eNewspaper   |    Crosswords   |   Horoscopes

 

Today's Opinions

Mon Aug 31 2026

 
New York Sen. Kristen Gonzalez, center, presents a proclamation at the centennial celebration of Astoria Center of Israel to Rabbi Joshua Rabin and synagogue event chair Elysa Blumenthal.

I'm a Zionist rabbi in AOC's district. Here's what I've learned from the relationships I've built with the democratic socialists representing us.

Protesters hold up "Stop data centers" signs on the day of President Donald Trump's speech in Milford, Michigan, on July 27, 2026.
 

Don't like data centers? Think of the billionaires!

When I learned a data center was being built near my town or city, I stood up on my human chair and cheered.

A pregnant person is shown.
 

A surrogate broke her contract – and saved a baby's life

McKenna West broke her contract to save a baby, and is now fighting his parents for custody. Who gets to decide which lives are worth saving?

Dolly Parton was one of one. Readers share their memories and appreciation for the the Queen of Country in our Opinion Forum.
 

Dolly Parton left us a template for a better world. Don't waste it.

Dolly Parton died on Aug. 25 after a brief battle with cancer. As tributes pour in around the world, our readers agree: She will be so missed.

The new logos for X and Twitter are seen in an illustration created on July 24, 2023.
 

I was addicted to Twitter. Here's how I finally quit.

X's liberal users, who stay mainly out of habit and addiction, are the only force keeping it from becoming just another Gab or Truth Social.

Child's hands holding a modern smartphone covering face. Focusing on technology, screen time, and digital native youth
 

The goal isn't a screen-free childhood. It's this.

There is a particular kind of silence parents know well: a room full of children, together but apart, each looking down at a screen.

A Flock Safety license-plate reading camera on State Road in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware.
 

Darth Vader, lawmakers and the ACLU agree: 'Get the Flock out'

Flock cameras speckled across cities from South Carolina to California are anti-American, and the risk of unwanted surveillance outweighs the benefit.

Drag queen Brigitte Bandit, here performing during a rally against President Donald Trump at the state Capitol in Austin, Texas, on Aug. 16, 2025, is one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit that challenged a law restricting drag performances in Texas. U.S. District Judge David Hittner ruled on Aug. 25, 2026, that the law is an unconstitutional restriction on speech.
 

Texas drag ban ruling: I talked to the queen at the center of it

The Texas ruling offered a glimpse of hope for the LGBTQ+ community who have been caught in the crossfire of the Republican Party's culture wars.

Rabbi Ari Berman, president of Yeshiva University in New York City, arrives at the school's commencement ceremony on May 29, 2024.
 

The goal of universities isn't to land students their dream jobs

At its best, a university is one of civilization's great achievements: an intergenerational community devoted to the shared pursuit of truth.

All of the headlines, none of the chaos.

Learn daily with The Excerpt, 
a podcast from USA TODAY.

LISTEN NOW
 

Sign up for the news you want

Exclusive newsletters are part of your subscription, don’t miss out! We’re always working to add benefits for subscribers like you.

SEE ALL NEWSLETTERS 

Newsletters   |    eNewspaper   |   Crosswords

Follow Us

Problem viewing email? View in browser

LiveIntent Logo AdChoices Logo

No comments:

Post a Comment